Skip to main content

Art, Language and Teaching Opportunities

Watercolors, Illustrations, ACEOs, lots of Czech and English language, lots of energy at home and major lack of sleep. How can all of that exist together! This has been one serious week!

ART:

I continued The Girl and her Cat series and got as far as 5 illustrations. (showing the 5th one here. For the other ones, check out this post) After that, I needed a little break, but I will get back to it and create more pieces.




I took one morning to get back to one of my favorite styles, which is pure line art, and drew a Spring-inspired portrait! And I really do love this! 





(I love this style so much that I actually created a whole coloring book last year and if you like coloring and you are a mother or have a mother or a mother friend, this book is for you! It also has a section of encouraging Bible verses. It's called Treasure of the Heart and you should check it out!) ;)




Then yesterday I thought, wow, I haven't painted any ACEOs in a really long time! And unlike the usual theme which would be something around cute animals, I painted this eye, because I'm so in the figural art right now. And what is also a little unlike me is the absence of a black outline, but you know what... I really love this too!






LANGUAGE:

We are a bilingual family and we speak both English and Czech at home. We currently live in the Czech republic, so there is a much higher need for Czech in the house. We do all sorts of things, but I find that doing a lot of flash cards, practicing the alphabet, reading encyclopedias (not so much stories yet, because they are sometimes too poetic in Czech and therefore harder to comprehend for beginners), and watching favorite movies in Czech (this is best if we've watched a movie a few times in English and have it memorized a bit, haha). Now, I AM Czech, so to me this isn't an issue, but the rest of the family is learning. That means that besides just speaking Czech, I have to get creative with how to teach it effectively. (yay, more creativity!!)


TEACHING OPPORTUNITIES:

Now, I have possibly two opportunities ahead of me. One concerning teaching Art, and the other teaching Czech. 

The first one would be teaching my friend's daughter, so we're talking about that. 

The second one would be teaching Czech as second language here in the kindergarten! Believe it or not, but even in the village where we live, my son isn't the only one there who is technically a foreigner. There are three other kids from all different countries! And language is definitely a tough thing to deal with, and for those kids it might be even more challenging because the parents supposedly don't speak Czech themselves. So I talked to the teacher and the principle yesterday and offered to volunteer as a Czech teacher to these kids. After all, I already do it at home! I think they really loved the idea but didn't want to come across too happy, so they told me they were definitely going to consider it. How fun would this be! And super useful. And exciting. And challenging. And fun! So this morning I sat down and wrote out my own teaching system (and I like it so much that it might be a thing one day!). 



So, this is the crazy good of my week, and I'm going to leave it there. Even though I really am super tired (hey, I'm a stay-at-home mom of two!). 



Hope your week has been good!
If you read this, please leave a comment. 

Also check out Paint Party Friday and join other artists in sharing their art and encouragement!


Have a great weekend!



Kate

Comments

  1. Kate, I so much enjoyed your post today. I watched the video on how to paint eyes. I love your own rendition of the eye painting too. Your girl and cat are delightful. You are very talented. I hope the teaching idea comes off as hoped for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful work this week, lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's always so much to do, so little time when you're an artist. Good luck with your class! Your paintings and drawings are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Live Art for a Devotional meeting

I decided to return to my blog with a special post. We are having summer camps here in the Czech Republic, and my mother-in-law shared her testimony and an encouragement from the Bible last night to a group of our girl volunteers. Anxiety is something that a lot of us struggle with, and often it is hard to talk about it. It could be because we are embarrassed or uncomfortable to admit it, to share about it, and are worried about what people are going to think as to - why we actually struggle. I really appreciate talking openly about such things. So when my mother-in-law asked me if I could illustrate a specific Bible verse in a live-art session while she shares with the group, I was really excited and said yes. The meeting was very uplifting, and in the end, some of the girls started opening up to us. So I would like to share this illustration with you all as well. Feel free to print out and colour it in, or share with a friend. (However it is not meant for redistribution and if you

Paint Party Friday - Original ACEOs of BUILDINGS in my country

Hi everyone, thanks for coming to see these! I missed the last (and the first) Paint Party Friday  and I was really sad about it cause I was looking forward A LOT. Well, I am glad that I made it for this friday, although I am like THE LAST on the list. oh well... hopefully someone will still come visit :) In the last months I've had an idea to paint scenes from my country (the Czech republic), but since landscapes and building were always a challenge for me, I didn't really know what format I should go for and what medium to use. And then I finally got it! ACEO! Watercolor and Acrylics... why not :) I enjoy painting little things so much and figured that it could ease it up for me with such challenging themes. Well, I simply want to share the beauties of my home country, because I myself adore them. So here are first three. Hope you will like them!! This is town's square of Kromeriz, you can see a castle's tower on the left, right behind it are the castle gard

BIRDs and PARROTs on ACEOs :)

Hi, I am back with some samples of what I've been doing lately. As you probably already know, I love ACEOs and the whole concept of small art fascinates me. Here are some birds and some parrots. The rest you can find in my shop http://katehollart.etsy.com