Skip to main content

ACEO - a Little Format for Big Artwork

ACEO stands for Art Cards Editions and Originals. The Artwork always has to measure 2.5 x 3.5 inches but isn't limited to a specific medium or subject. So if you can think it and create it, do it on this format and you might even sell it, because this format has collectors' eyes on it!

HOW I GOT TO ACEOs

I started creating ACEOs a few years ago. After I moved to the States, I started exploring the waters as an artist and found out many cool things about what an artist can do in America. When I came across ACEOs, I was hooked and I only wished I started a lot earlier when there was a big boom and they were so popular that almost anything you created was sold! I always loved drawing miniatures and so this became a very fun way to create something intriguing and I knew it could have great value. In the past I created several series, some of which were more popular and sold almost instantly (like Watercolor Mermaids, or Colored-pencil Parakeets, or Marker Puppy and Kitty series), and some that gained the audience but didn't sell as much. Regardless of that, my experience with ACEOs is great and I will appreciate it forever!






LITTLE TIME? IT'S OK!


I am currently very busy with a lot of great things and so can't focus on bigger formats, even though I'd love to. So I thought, how can I still create a piece of art, from start to finish, without spending a lot of time on it, but making sure it will be a really good result in the end? Oh that's right! ACEOs! (not saying that just because it's a small format that you shouldn't take your time to make good art, I am just very fortunate that I work fast and my pace helps my focus, and I'm very happy that I can have a finished art piece in a short amount of time.)

So I sat down and painted that first eye. It became so huge on Facebook! I got so many views, so many comments, so many new page likes, and so much encouragement to show more! (It actually sold on ebay! Yaaay!) So with the little time that I could give to more, I did. I painted two more eyes. But I didn't want to just stick to that, and last night I decided to relax a little and give it more. 






MY LOVE FOR PORTRAITS


If you follow my blog, you probably already noticed that I have a thing for portraits. Well, here is another one! I have been very inspired by some previously viewed art pieces of red heads, that I had to paint one too. (Maybe it's because there is a little red in my hair too and I'm so proud of it haha!) 







Here is also the painting video :)



And you can click here for the Ebay listing (because OF COURSE I will put it up!)

And check out Paint Party Friday!

This is it from me today, because we are having a fantastic weekend focused on missions, and after my daughter wakes up from her nap, I will rejoin the local happenings.


Have a great day and a great weekend!


Kate



www.facebook.com/kateholloman

Comments

  1. Wow wonderful piece of art. I love the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, your paintings are beautiful. Your ability to do eyes is simply amazing. I enjoyed the video of the red haired girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous paintings!! I can really appreciate the small size. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your work is amazing! I am always impressed when people work so small! Well done!

    Peace Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your portraits. I am not able.
    (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did a lot of ACEOs and sold quite a few of them. I haven't done any lately--but now I feel inspired. They are so much fun.

    Your artwork is just amazing--I LOVE it. Your little pieces fill my eyes, which is the greatest compliment I can give. <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Live Art for a Devotional meeting

I decided to return to my blog with a special post. We are having summer camps here in the Czech Republic, and my mother-in-law shared her testimony and an encouragement from the Bible last night to a group of our girl volunteers. Anxiety is something that a lot of us struggle with, and often it is hard to talk about it. It could be because we are embarrassed or uncomfortable to admit it, to share about it, and are worried about what people are going to think as to - why we actually struggle. I really appreciate talking openly about such things. So when my mother-in-law asked me if I could illustrate a specific Bible verse in a live-art session while she shares with the group, I was really excited and said yes. The meeting was very uplifting, and in the end, some of the girls started opening up to us. So I would like to share this illustration with you all as well. Feel free to print out and colour it in, or share with a friend. (However it is not meant for redistribution and if you

Paint Party Friday - Original ACEOs of BUILDINGS in my country

Hi everyone, thanks for coming to see these! I missed the last (and the first) Paint Party Friday  and I was really sad about it cause I was looking forward A LOT. Well, I am glad that I made it for this friday, although I am like THE LAST on the list. oh well... hopefully someone will still come visit :) In the last months I've had an idea to paint scenes from my country (the Czech republic), but since landscapes and building were always a challenge for me, I didn't really know what format I should go for and what medium to use. And then I finally got it! ACEO! Watercolor and Acrylics... why not :) I enjoy painting little things so much and figured that it could ease it up for me with such challenging themes. Well, I simply want to share the beauties of my home country, because I myself adore them. So here are first three. Hope you will like them!! This is town's square of Kromeriz, you can see a castle's tower on the left, right behind it are the castle gard

BIRDs and PARROTs on ACEOs :)

Hi, I am back with some samples of what I've been doing lately. As you probably already know, I love ACEOs and the whole concept of small art fascinates me. Here are some birds and some parrots. The rest you can find in my shop http://katehollart.etsy.com