Skip to main content

The Girl and her Cat - a Watercolor Illustration Series, and some valuable artist encouragement!

Hi everyone! 


After my last post, I am happy to share with you this emerging series about a little girl and her pet cat. This has been so much fun! Even though there isn't a written story behind it, these are inspired by my own childhood that was truly filled with lots of fun adventures with pets. Making time to sit down and paint wasn't always that easy this week though. With kids being done with sickness and going back to kindergarten, then getting sick again, and my husband's dad flying in from the US to spend several days with us, it has really been something.

How has your week been? How much time were able to give to art? Did you post about it anywhere where I could see? Let me know!



Why this series


There were a couple reasons behind this series. 

1. It's easy to paint because it's connected to fun memories. And this girl is the kind of a character that I happen to draw a lot, and even though she doesn't look completely like me when I was a kid, I kind of associate myself with her. Oh, I did give her my eye color! 


2. I haven't done much art in color lately, so this was a great opportunity for that! Also it's like illustrating a children's book (which is a childhood dream of mine) even though it doesn't have the written text behind it. 


3. I really wanted to share something fun with the Paint Party Friday group! (if you haven't heard of it - it's a really fun way to be connected to other artists and cheer each other on! If you are an artist with a blog, why not join?)





The medium

Watercolors became one of my top favorites in the last few years! I used to work with colored pencils a lot more but my time is a lot more limited now, so I love that I can create something of full color in much less time. I love to use a brush and apply color and see how things change in front of my eyes. It did take me a while though to get used to watercolors. I am quite a perfectionist and for a while I was frustrated with watercolors because the first stroke never remained the same, and I didn't have that problem with colored pencils. I mean, whatever you draw is what it will be. But then I accepted the watercolor challenge and realized how much freedom it provides, and how nice it is to let things flow a little differently and be more flexible. The watercolors that I'm using are Koh-i-noor brilliant watercolor. Koh-i-noor is a fantastic art supply brand here in the Czech republic. I grew up with it and I will certainly remain faithful to it. 




Making it personal


I could have probably chosen something more commercial and try to think more sales. I certainly tried that many times in the past. And while it worked and I was selling, it became more overwhelming and much less enjoyable. So I threw that out of the window, and came back to the hobby that art is for me. I don't know how far it will go, but I know my heart and mind is in its calm place, which at this stage of life is the right place. It also shows who I am as an artist more. Not a seller, but an artist. Cause I'm sure you can relate. If you are an artist yourself, you don't need to be selling to remain an artist. You are an artist, because that's who you are. It's really that simple. It's more personal than sales. It's more personal than others' suggestions. It's more personal than others' criticism. It's who you are. And you can take the best of everything that life brings your way, and not suffocate under the world's expectations. When you're an artist, you will hear everything. That's because the value that art has is different for every person. It's different for every artist. For every buyer. For every beholder. And you can't possibly please everyone. And you shouldn't feel that just because someone doesn't find your art beautiful enough or modern enough, that it's not good enough. You are an artist first because art is valuable to YOU. It's just that personal. So let it be that. And do allow yourself to get better! That's good and healthy and everyone should aim to be their better self. But don't give up apples for oranges if you like apples better, ok?



Also, here are the speed painting videos if you care to watch them ;)







Have a great Friday everyone and a wonderful weekend!


Kate 



Comments

  1. Love the drawings, very cute illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful vibrant colors and sweet designs. These would make wonderful pictures for a childrens book! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love these. I love cats and naturally I would love anything with cats on it. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Kate this series is just wonderful. I can see this is a book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate, what beautiful watercolor illustrations! Thanks for the videos. It helped me to see how you made these gorgeous creations. Do you use Arches paper or some other ? I love the bright colors you have in these Koh-i-noor paints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Faye, thanks for the comment! This particular paper was a Koh-i-noor watercolor pro series. Most of the time I actually use Canson XL coldpress watercolor paper.

      Delete
  6. Thank you everyone!! I appreciate your comments very much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are gorgeous and so beautifully colourful! I really love them (especially the cats!) Happy PPF from Number 24 :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your series is wonderful! I loved your explanations and descriptions of your process and the reason behind your work! Lovely colorful pieces! Enjoyed seeing this so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading through! :)

      Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  9. Your work is amazing!! And you truly are an illustrator at heart!! These would make an amazing childs book! I love how vivid and beautiful your work is!! Very fun!! Write a book!!

    Peace Giggles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I appreciate the encouragement :)

      Delete
  10. they make such a cute couple. And I love the strong colours you use. Love watching you work on these illustrations too, you're really good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such happy paintings, Kate, and as you say, watercolor can be challenging, but there is a lot of freedom once it begins to flow. I working mostly in acrylics currently, use watercolors with my grandkids, and making cards.
    I agree, you've got a great beginning for a book-

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh these a just lovely paintings! I love the subject matter and I enjoyed watching your speed painting. I was just playing with watercolor last week - I usually use acrylics - and it is fun watching the colors move and flow and do their own thing. I agree about art being personal, too. Really enjoyed reading that. ;) Happy PPF and Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful little cat and her girl! You captured a lot of very sweet moments. Wonderful vibrant color too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh this is so cute...happy to have dropped here...recently I started painting a girl and her cat...one of my niece and her love for cats...she doesn't talk much but she do talk to cats...a beautiful soul.....!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sreeja, it is so true! Animals have a special way to get through to us and open us up. I looked at your art and it's really beautiful! Thanks for stopping by here :)

      Delete
  15. So gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the videos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your artwork is so cute!! Love it. I'm a HUGE fan of cats..have 3 that I love to bits. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Live Art for a Devotional meeting

I decided to return to my blog with a special post. We are having summer camps here in the Czech Republic, and my mother-in-law shared her testimony and an encouragement from the Bible last night to a group of our girl volunteers. Anxiety is something that a lot of us struggle with, and often it is hard to talk about it. It could be because we are embarrassed or uncomfortable to admit it, to share about it, and are worried about what people are going to think as to - why we actually struggle. I really appreciate talking openly about such things. So when my mother-in-law asked me if I could illustrate a specific Bible verse in a live-art session while she shares with the group, I was really excited and said yes. The meeting was very uplifting, and in the end, some of the girls started opening up to us. So I would like to share this illustration with you all as well. Feel free to print out and colour it in, or share with a friend. (However it is not meant for redistribution and if you

Paint Party Friday - Original ACEOs of BUILDINGS in my country

Hi everyone, thanks for coming to see these! I missed the last (and the first) Paint Party Friday  and I was really sad about it cause I was looking forward A LOT. Well, I am glad that I made it for this friday, although I am like THE LAST on the list. oh well... hopefully someone will still come visit :) In the last months I've had an idea to paint scenes from my country (the Czech republic), but since landscapes and building were always a challenge for me, I didn't really know what format I should go for and what medium to use. And then I finally got it! ACEO! Watercolor and Acrylics... why not :) I enjoy painting little things so much and figured that it could ease it up for me with such challenging themes. Well, I simply want to share the beauties of my home country, because I myself adore them. So here are first three. Hope you will like them!! This is town's square of Kromeriz, you can see a castle's tower on the left, right behind it are the castle gard