Skip to main content

Painting progress: Boston terrier!

Hi, I'm gonna share with you my work progress of today.
I was painting a boston terrier for one customer. (technique that I used was pen and tempera paints - not the ones in huge bottles that you can buy in a store for poster painting, these look more like little acrylic tubes, have the same thickness too - which I like. And they are just amazing! I honestly love working with them. Unlike acrylics, that dry out fast, these things are still editable after a while. But of course, not like after a day or so, lol)

So, kind of sharing how I worked, kind of a "how-to" also. 

Yeah.. you can just look at it and decide for yourself :)
So I started with a basic sketch.

After that, I drew an outline with a pen.

Ok, I know this is not the proper way of layering paint, but it works great for me! I start with the darkest - in this case - black. This is how I put down the color base. 
This is what it looks like after putting down the black paint for all the major shadows in the picture. 
Now it's time to water it down, it will make a nice blend. I use a larger flat brush and I only put it in clear water. 
Getting through... :)
....all the spots that need to have it's color. (make sure though you don't paint over the areas where there's light. You need to keep the contrasts visible)
After doing the face, the ears and a little bit of the body, this is what our boston looks like. Getting there but still needs more work :)
Now for the inside-of-ear color - I recommend a blend of white, brown, and dark red. It will give it the right natural look.
Here I put the paint down in a few simple strokes (all these strokes have a thicker layers)
Here the paint was again watered down and it made a nice blend.

Here I just continued adding the basic paint to give the boston its looks. Still the same steps. 

This is what the boston looks now with all the base put down. Starting to look pretty good, but now it's the time to add THE DETAILS!

The eyes - and remember, these details are pretty important! :) they will make the painting look more alive.

The ears - for these details I was using a small brush "0". 

And the nose. This part of the face is also important :)

Since the ears didn't have much of the shape inside, I took a medium brush, dried it out a bit and just tapped on the areas that needed to be lightly darkened. 

"Looking good, sir!"

I used the dry brush again on the rest of the body to get the texture of the boston's hair correctly.
And this is what the finished painting looks like :)



Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Art, Language and Teaching Opportunities

Watercolors, Illustrations, ACEOs, lots of Czech and English language, lots of energy at home and major lack of sleep. How can all of that exist together! This has been one serious week!


I continued The Girl and her Cat series and got as far as 5 illustrations. (showing the 5th one here. For the other ones, check out this post) After that, I needed a little break, but I will get back to it and create more pieces.

I took one morning to get back to one of my favorite styles, which is pure line art, and drew a Spring-inspired portrait! And I really do love this! 

(I love this style so much that I actually created a whole coloring book last year and if you like coloring and you are a mother or have a mother or a mother friend, this book is for you! It also has a section of encouraging Bible verses. It's called Treasure of the Heart and you should check it out!) ;)

Then yesterday I thought, wow, I haven't painted any ACEOs in a really long time! And unlike the usual theme which wou…

How to be a Good Artist when you're completely Eclectic

I am an artist. I love art. I love all the different styles, techniques, mediums. They inspire me, they challenge me, they grow me. But many times I was told that I can't do all of it if I want to be a good artist. 
That really confused me. I wanted to be a good artist, but I didn't want to give up everything that I love to do, and only pick one niche. Like, which one is it going to be? Am I going to focus only on portraits? Or only on cartoons? Or fashion designs? I love painting with watercolors too! Oh and don't get me started on realistic line art! Oh, and did you know there was this cool technique called Zentangle? I have to try that out too! Oh, guess what - I really love doing that too! Oh gosh... I am completely all over the place. This can't be good for my portfolio! How will I attract viewers? And more importantly, how will I keep them coming back, if the next time they come, they will see something completely different than what they "signed up" for…

FUN LITTLE ART - the New Art Channel with Drawing videos for Kids!

Hi everyone!

The summer passed and fall is here. And I have an announcement! I just recently released my new art channel called "Fun Little Art" that is dedicated to drawing videos for children. If you have kids around you who love to draw, share these with them! I'm sure they will enjoy them and maybe even learn ;)

I have had my main "Kate Holloman" channel for years. Even though my channel is primarily about art, it became popular because of a video of my husband and then 8mo son (it's pretty cute), but it seems like all the people that watch that video and subscribe to my channel don't really have any expectation to see art videos so those aren't watched as much. What a bummer! So I decided that it might be worth a try to have a channel that is clearly only about one thing and people won't be confused. And since I am a mom of two kids, drawing for them is something I do a lot anyway. Then I saw some other channels that were doi…