Skip to main content

How to be a Good Artist when you're completely Eclectic

I am an artist. 

I love art. I love all the different styles, techniques, mediums. They inspire me, they challenge me, they grow me. But many times I was told that I can't do all of it if I want to be a good artist. 

That really confused me. I wanted to be a good artist, but I didn't want to give up everything that I love to do, and only pick one niche. Like, which one is it going to be? Am I going to focus only on portraits? Or only on cartoons? Or fashion designs? I love painting with watercolors too! Oh and don't get me started on realistic line art! Oh, and did you know there was this cool technique called Zentangle? I have to try that out too! Oh, guess what - I really love doing that too! Oh gosh... I am completely all over the place. This can't be good for my portfolio! How will I attract viewers? And more importantly, how will I keep them coming back, if the next time they come, they will see something completely different than what they "signed up" for? Ugh... this is really hard to figure out... so maybe I just won't do what I love to do... and try to focus only on one thing... but... that means I will miss doing everything else... What do I do?


Have you been in that boat? Well I would like to tell you something. You can be a good artist even if you're eclectic. And maybe that's exactly what makes you - you! If you want to be a good artist, you can't remove all the good parts from who you are! So embrace it, and keep enjoying doing what you love! Be true to yourself, alright? 

Being true to myself as an artist is important, and the only way I will ever be authentic.

Ready to do that? Ok, great! Now... how to really do that effectively...hmmm...

This is where I struggled for a long time. My Facebook art page had months where it looked like a mess! And then there were times that I was able to compile very nice albums!

Then just a couple months ago I restarted my activity as a creator on Youtube. Now, that definitely got me thinking about how to get this right. I know that there are people who only focus their channel on one genre. Or they only use one technique. And then there are the others that do lots of different things, but maybe it's because their focus is on testing different products and mediums. So that makes sense too. But I am not in it for that. In all honesty, I don't have time to make any of these great social media venues my full time focus. So that's why it's important to do it right with the limited time that I can give it.

So how do I do that, when I am so eclectic and so often I feel like jumping from one thing to another? (can you sense a little ADHD here?) I need at least some consistency! But I know I won't make my channel only about one style or technique. I want my freedom. Because above all the "right ways to do it" I simply want to share what I love. 

That's when it hit me. I can work in series! That will take some commitment but it will give me freedom too. It takes only as much commitment as the size of the series which I determine. It gives me freedom in what theme I choose, and actually, I can be super eclectic within a series and remain completely myself! 

That's how I went into it with my first series. Portraits. You can check these out in this post. 
These were actually my own selfies, because that gave me freedom in the poses, the expressions, the lighting... but I did each portrait a little differently. Some were done in pencil, some in watercolor, some in markers, and one was hatched (no, there was no cracking of eggs, it is a real technique) ;). 


And guess what... I did a few portraits and I felt like I was kind of done with that. Even though I enjoy them so much. I needed to switch to something else. Now, it's good that I stuck with it for a while because now there is consistency. If I only did one portrait and then the next video was about cartoons... that probably wouldn't fly so well.
But here I am, wanting to paint with watercolors! Goodness, what do I do?
Actually, I sat down and painted a Pineapple. While I was painting, my mind elaborated on how much I could do if I paint a whole bunch of fruits and make Zazzle cards! So what did I paint next? A cat.

Wait, what?? 

Yeah... I did. Totally random. And it got me nervous. You see, I am a grown up and I don't like to feel like I wasted my time. Then I had to make a decision. What am I going to commit to? I realized that even though I love to paint fruits, I can't give them enough of my own personal artistic oomph. But a cat. Ohhh, now that's a different story! I can paint a cat and really give it character! I can go all out with my style and the technique that I'm currently feeling, and guess what... it can even make a nice series that people will want to watch!

So I sat down today, and I painted the first piece to a series I am happy to commit to.
The Girl and her Cat. 



Wait, now there is a girl too?
Yep... it changed again... actually it developed so it's ok, because that's how ideas happen and how you create a plan and a strategy. Sometimes, thoughts take you from A - B but run around C, D, and E first. Which is good, because then you know where to go from B ;). It kind of puts it into a bigger perspective, no?

Am I making any sense? 

Here are the points for today:


1. Be true to yourself.

2. Work in Series.

3. And always do your best!


Sooooo, this is where I am right now. This is how I think. This is how I make use of the passion that's chasing me, and instead of chasing after it and being thrown around with every nice feeling breeze, I can walk this path steadily. (or run, or even jump when I feel like it).

I am an artist. A passionate one. An eclectic one. And I dare to say, a good one.
And perhaps, my niche will look a little different than most. But that's ok. Because it will find its audience, and I will be happy because I can simply be who I am. 



If you made it through this, please let me know in the comments!
And share with me what kind of an artist you consider yourself to be, and if you have any personal tips as well!


Have a great day!
Kate

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Live Art for a Devotional meeting

I decided to return to my blog with a special post. We are having summer camps here in the Czech Republic, and my mother-in-law shared her testimony and an encouragement from the Bible last night to a group of our girl volunteers. Anxiety is something that a lot of us struggle with, and often it is hard to talk about it. It could be because we are embarrassed or uncomfortable to admit it, to share about it, and are worried about what people are going to think as to - why we actually struggle. I really appreciate talking openly about such things. So when my mother-in-law asked me if I could illustrate a specific Bible verse in a live-art session while she shares with the group, I was really excited and said yes. The meeting was very uplifting, and in the end, some of the girls started opening up to us. So I would like to share this illustration with you all as well. Feel free to print out and colour it in, or share with a friend. (However it is not meant for redistribution and if you

BIRDs and PARROTs on ACEOs :)

Hi, I am back with some samples of what I've been doing lately. As you probably already know, I love ACEOs and the whole concept of small art fascinates me. Here are some birds and some parrots. The rest you can find in my shop http://katehollart.etsy.com

Paint Party Friday - Original ACEOs of BUILDINGS in my country

Hi everyone, thanks for coming to see these! I missed the last (and the first) Paint Party Friday  and I was really sad about it cause I was looking forward A LOT. Well, I am glad that I made it for this friday, although I am like THE LAST on the list. oh well... hopefully someone will still come visit :) In the last months I've had an idea to paint scenes from my country (the Czech republic), but since landscapes and building were always a challenge for me, I didn't really know what format I should go for and what medium to use. And then I finally got it! ACEO! Watercolor and Acrylics... why not :) I enjoy painting little things so much and figured that it could ease it up for me with such challenging themes. Well, I simply want to share the beauties of my home country, because I myself adore them. So here are first three. Hope you will like them!! This is town's square of Kromeriz, you can see a castle's tower on the left, right behind it are the castle gard